"Gaslighting - Where Is the Truth?," original collage, 24" x 24"
This piece is about gaslighting - the process of making someone think that they're crazy, it's all in their head, and they're making it up. Many of us have probably experienced this at one time or another. Merriam-Webster defines gaslighting this way:
The psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem.
The collage was made by layering images and text cut from discarded magazines. I use all of the pages of the magazines, including the pages that only have text on them. The text becomes the background for these pieces.
Most of the text is obscured, but little bits here and there are readable, adding an element of mystery and intrigue. The text is symbolic of the relentless noise in the outside world and the incessant chatter inside our minds.
- 24" x 24" original collage
- collage on cradled wood panel
- coated with UV varnish for durability and to protect against fading
- 1-1/2 inches deep with natural wood sides
- signed by the artist on the back
- wired and ready to hang, with or without a frame
- FedEx shipping within the US
- contact me for an international shipping quote
- artwork guarantee - if you don't love it, return it